This circuit is very useful to generate higher voltage from a low power source, but this circuit will deliver low output current. So it should only be used for low current driven applications. Also, the output voltage may be unstable, so a voltage regulator (IC78XX) of proper rating can be used regulation and smooth output. But voltage regulator IC itself consume some current, and reduce the deliverable current.
6V to 12V DC Voltage Doubler Parts List
- R1, R4 = 2.2K
- R2, R3 = 4.7K
- R5 = 1K
- R6 = 1.5K
- R7 = 33K
- R8 = 10K
- C1,C2 = 0.1uF C3 = 470uF/25V
- D1 = 1N914
- D2 = 1N4004
- D3 = 12V 400mW Zener Diode
- Q1, Q2, Q4 = BC547
- Q3 = BD679
- L1 is a custom inductor wound with about 80 turns of 0.5mm magnet wire around a toroidal core with a 40mm outside diameter.
6V to 12V DC Voltage Doubler Circuit
- Different values of D3 can be used to get different output voltages from about 0.6V to around 30V. Note that at higher voltages the circuit might not perform as well and may not produce as much current. You may also need to use a larger C3 for higher voltages and/or higher currents.
- You are allowed use a larger value for capacitor C3 to provide better filtering.